Brick cleaning guidance and what to avoid
- Consider the time of year, will your problem likely go away with changing season? Think about this before taking drastic steps to remove blemishes from bricks.
- Don't unnecessarily clean old brickwork. It is more vulnerable and cleaning may cause more harm than you started with.
- Never use a pressure washer on old brickwork. Older buildings may not have been built with the same damp prevention methods that modern masonry uses.
- Reconsider using water-resistant solutions and paints on bricks. In some cases, this might be suitable but be wary as these can sometimes trap moisture within the bricks.
- Avoid the temptation to use metal brushes on bricks as this will likely damage the appearance.
There isn’t a definitive guide to one method of brick cleaning, as it really does depend on a number of factors. Always check with the brick manufacturer if you have any doubts about cleaning techniques. Plus, our colleagues in branch will be happy to offer suggestions. drop into your local Gibbs & Dandy with details about your issue and we’ll always do our best to help.
We'd recommend these further reading resources on cleaning bricks: