About Gibbs & Dandy
The roots of Gibbs & Dandy can be traced back to 1843 when it was an ironmongery business based in Luton. The business was acquired by George Frederick Gibbs and then in 1894 was purchased by William and Percy Dandy. Mr Gibbs retired, but the Dandy brothers (who originally hailed from Peterborough) maintained the local connection by naming the newly-acquired business Gibbs & Dandy.
The brothers continued trading as a partnership until 1920 when a private limited company was formed. The company prospered, new premises were acquired in Luton and Dunstable and in July 1953 Gibbs and Dandy was floated on the Birmingham Stock Exchange.
Since 1953 Gibbs & Dandy has continued to expand, some of the major milestones include:
- 1968 the company acquired Frederic Gale Ltd, a Bedford-based public company, and later relocated to Barker’s Lane, Bedford in 1975
- 1987 Gibbs & Dandy had continued grow in Luton, having three sites in different parts of the town. These sites were consolidated onto a single 7-acre site in Dallow Road, which also became the Head Office.
- 1990 Gibbs & Dandy bought two branches in St Neots and St Ives (Cambs) from David Smith (St Ives) Ltd.
- 1997 expansion came through further acquisitions, when it bought the two branches of Miller, Morris and Brooker Ltd in Slough and Maidenhead.
- 2002 Gibbs & Dandy acquired Elliott & Co (Henley) Ltd to further establish its presence in the Thames Valley
- 2005 Gibbs & Dandy acquired Timber Force UK, Kettering
- 2007 another acquisition was made with Carson Fletcher Timber in Market Harborough
- 2008, Gibbs & Dandy was acquired by Saint-Gobain Building Distribution
- 2011, a number of other merchants, owned by SGBD, were rebranded as Gibbs & Dandy including: EP Builders (Leicester), Nixon Knowles (Worksop, Doncaster & Nottingham) and Archibalds (Pudsey & Huddersfield)
- 2012, 12 former Build Center branches and a Merton Timber branch in East Dulwich, acquired by SGBD, were integrated into Gibbs & Dandy
- 2017, Builders merchant Chas Lowe & Son's in Knebworth was acquired by Gibbs & Dandy and relocated to Stevenage along with all of the Chas Lowe staff.
At Gibbs & Dandy, we have a proud history built on local relationships. Embedded in communities over 29 locations, each branch is tailored to meet the needs of their local market and customers.
We offer our customers a personal and trusted service, with their experience and projects at the heart of everything we do. Our knowledgeable teams are always on hand to provide advice and solutions, and work with our customers to ensure that their plans become reality.
However our people focus isn’t reserved for those who we do business with, but also embraces those who we are a business with.
Working at Gibbs & Dandy means operating in a challenging and fast-paced environment. Bringing a great deal of enthusiasm, support and well-placed humour to their roles, our colleagues build strong connections with our customers, but also with each other.
To help them thrive and progress in their roles, we offer our colleagues the same personal service as we do our customers, providing them with the support and opportunities they need to learn and develop. By doing so, we aim to ensure that working at Gibbs & Dandy is more than a job, it’s the start of a long and rewarding career - to find out more about starting a career with Gibbs & Dandy click here